One of the scribes came near and heard them disputing with one another, and seeing that he answered them well, he asked him, “Which commandment is the first of all?” Jesus answered, “The first is, “Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one; you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ The second is this, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” Then the scribe said to him, “You are right, Teacher; you have truly said that “he is one, and besides him there is no other’; and “to love him with all the heart, and with all the understanding, and with all the strength,’ and “to love one’s neighbor as oneself,’—this is much more important than all whole burnt offerings and sacrifices.” When Jesus saw that he answered wisely, he said to him, “You are not far from the kingdom of God.” After that no one dared to ask him any question. [NRSV]
Love is the Core Value and Core Action
Hear, O Israel: the Lord our God, the Lord is one;
- you shall love the Lord your God
- with all your heart,
- and with all your soul,
- and with all your mind,
- and with all your strength.’
- The second is this, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’
- To love God is to love your neighbor and yourself
The five languages…Gary Chapman (not so different a list from the Greatest and 2nd Greatest commandment)
- Words of Affirmation.
- Acts of Service
- Receiving Gifts
- Quality Time
- Physical Touch
JESUS EXAMPLES OF “5 love language”
- in this text : Jesus gives the affirmation that the scribe who knows when we show love to others, God’s Kingdom is near to us.
- In the examples of feeding and healing Jesus and the disciples give themselves in service to others.
- From birth, Jesus receives gifts: gold frankincense myrrh, a child’s lunch, the hospitality of supporters. And he gives gifts of healing, food, forgiveness and resurrection.
- Jesus spends concentrated time with the disciples, “leaving nets and follow”, with the little ones, “bring the children to me.”
- Jesus also shows his love through physical touch. The hem of his robe, the touch of his hand, He is not just words in stone, he is a physical example and resources.
All Saints Day
Saints are those who love God because God has first love us
sainthood is not determined by our opinion nor the church’s vote, rather by God.
Those who love God and love neighbor, are themselves love in the world.
Motivation to thank and pray
we have no real reason to love God is God has not loved us first
so we love our neighbor before they love us
- Saints take the first step
- Saints start the conversation
- Saints offer gifts
- Saints make the time
- Saints extend the contact
- loving is a process not a perfection
So on this All Saints Sunday we remember those who have shown us God’s kingdom of Love and we reaffirm ourselves as the Saints who will show God’s love to this world in every way we can.
Leave a Reply